Sunday, April 4, 2010

Painted bottles as decor... your thoughts?

Lately I've been spotting a DIY idea over and over again in blogs and magazines: bottles being painted (either inside or out) with oil paint for use as vases/decoration.

Here are a few examples:

Bold and bright


Shades of one colour


Complimentary pastels



I really like the idea of making everyday items beautiful and useful rather than spending lots of money buying new mass-produced things that come at a cost to the environment. I'm far from perfect but I am trying to make a conscious effort to buy quality and buy once, and not get sucked into too many trends when it comes to clothes and homewares.

I own quite a old fashioned glass milk and cream bottles (many different shapes from several eras)... how I came to acquire them and why I kept them is a bit of a story. Currently they don't serve a purpose but I thought this is something I could do to make them more beautiful and display them around the traps.

What do you think about this DIY 'trend'?



4 comments:

  1. I'm definitely a fan. I have an ever-growing collection of bottles and containers that I think are especially beautiful, but when I put them on a shelf in their natural state, even in a nice grouping, the clear glass just does nothing visually.

    So paint away, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, looks gorgeous! I especially love the second image you've posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, I think it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so simple and cheap. I wonder about paint on the inside of vases - would it affect the flowers?? but it would look better painted from the inside. I like it. Perhaps keep the oldest milk bottle unpainted - you could be sitting on a gold mine!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete